A woman from California named Lauren Wasser is telling her life story so that other women don’t have to go through what she has because of a popular product.
In 2012, this model went to the hospital because she couldn’t get rid of flu-like symptoms. When doctors did tests, they found that Lauren’s pain wasn’t caused by the flu, but by bacterial toxins that caused toxic shock syndrome.
It was found that a tampon was the source of the problem. If tampons are left for a long time, they can cause this infection, which can lead to TTS.
Lauren was in a coma for more than a week, and when she woke up, doctors had to cut off her leg because it was infected. She was only 24 years old at the time.
Since this terrible thing happened, Lauren has made it her mission to raise awareness and fight Kotex Natural Balance in court. This is the brand of tampons that caused her to have such a bad reaction.
In a few months, my other leg will have to be taken off. I can’t do anything about it. But I can help make sure this doesn’t happen to other people,” Lauren tells The Daily Mail.
View this post on Instagram
“Consumers need to know the truth about what could happen to them because the vagina is the most absorbent part of a woman’s body and a doorway to many of our vital organs,” she writes in InStyle.
After her second leg was cut off, Lauren took a picture with Paralympic runner Amy Purdy, who also had both legs cut off.
“Life is about to change again in a big way! Still, I’m in a good mood and ready to move on to the next part of my life. She wrote in the description, “????? // photo by my love @camraface.”
We are rooting for Lauren because she is determined to live her life to the best, no matter how hard things have been for her.